I am an SRK fan but never really got the opportunity to see his earlier works do I sat down and watched all the most popular movies of Shahrukh Khan :
- Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jaenge (DDLJ)
- Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
- Dil To Pagal Hai
- Dil Se
- Chak De! India
- Kal Ho Na Ho
- Swades, and well here’s the verdict.
1. Chak De! India : The best movie of the lot. Imbibes suspense and thrill of the sport and the drama of Shahrukh’s acting. Especially the last penalty shoot out, I was biting my nails even though I had a fair idea of what was going to happen. It is a welcome deviation from the normal Yash Raj films that are basically romantic to convey the idea that “Someone, somewhere is made for you”. One man and 16 young fire blooded girls, but there is one problem, none of them can overcome their ego and
play the game for their country. This is what is basically the task of coach Kabir Khan (SRK). By hook or by crook, he brings these girls together and teaches them what it is to be a team and hence without even picking up his hockey stick clears his name. His pain and the desperation to show his love for the country is effortlessly portrayed by SRK.
2. Swades: Those who have seen both Dil Se and Swades must understand why I like Swades more than Dil Se. Swades brings out the story of India in a fun yet touching way without actually focusing more on the love story. The scene in which Gita gives Mohan the box filled encompassing the essence of the country and it’s culture, it is heart warming. The beauty of it is just inexplicable. It is the story the transformation of a mineral water drinking NRI to a mud wrestling ‘Gaon ka Chora’. It brings out the small little problems of the country without being heavy on the mellow drama, hence giving it the edge over Dil Se. The small liitle antics of Indians, like that of Mela Ram, speaking the awkward English, asking for a sponsor or wanting to open a Dhaba in USA. Small dreams and aspirations are wonderfully captured and add humorto the movie. And as always, Shahrukh is the King of romance so when he plays a little with Gita it is fun to see, more so the Dhoti scene.
3. Dil Se: It is a movie about a man who falls madly in love with a girl whom he doesn’t know and makes desperate attempts to find her but when he does she turns out to be a terrorist. Though the movie also tells the story of the unsung tribal areas that are seen by many as distant lands only made for a holiday in the summer vacations rather than considering them a part of the nation. But most of the encounters of Shahrukh and Manisha Koirala and gravid with sexual tension rather than making you feel that they are in love but you do enjoy them. But Shahrukh’s acting in the movie is the best, second only to Chak De! Both side of the story, gross violations by the army of human rights and their fight for keeping the nation secure and safe is shown. Shahrukh is an AIR program executive and even after sizable efforts of Manisha to fend him off, his job keeps making them meet. The music is excellent.
4. Kal Ho Na Ho: Refreshing, highly enjoyable and just the right dose of mellow drama for an Indian movie. Kal Ho Na Ho, endears Shahrukh to you. He is charming, sweet and chivalrous man with weak heart, quite literally. You love his sense of humor and the way he acts as the angel for Preiti Zinta’s family and would definitely wish for one but well as handsome as him. He appears altruistic. Not to forget Saif Ali khan’s family is shown as the typical Gujarati family with the thepla ane fafda (Thepla and fafda are Gujrati snacks). It breaks your heat to see him die.
5. DDLJ: Probably the most popular movie of his entire career, it still runs at Maratha Mandir, a cinema hall in Mumbai. Their entire journey across Europe is very enjoyable. But the highlight of the movie is the part when Shahrukh goes to Kajol’s house to win her family over. He is sweet, caring and makes you feel special. true love always triumphs, it cannot be impeded by obstacles in the way.You want to fall in love with him. But too many cooks spoil the broth and too many songs spoil a movie. There were too many of them, I started jumping them. But still you want to see it till the end when the two lovers meet with the famous dialogue “Jaa Simran jaa, jeele apni zindagi’ (Go Simran go, live your life’). Shahrukh plays the gentleman who will not elope with the love of his life but will take her away in front of everyone as her bride.
6. Kuch Kuch Hota Hai: It is again a true to it’s form Shahrukh Khan love story where he cannot have the love of his life but make all the attempts and in the end love triumphs all. You enjoy the silly behavior of Shahrukh and Kajol when they are in college. Sana Saeed is really sweet.
7. Dil To Pagal Hai: This was the first SRK movie that I got tired watching, the movie was going somewhere aimlessly, stuffed with songs and just one thought is repeated that “Someone, somewhere is made for you”. Shahrukh’s love Madhuri is betrothed to someone and how they meet while fending of efforts of both Akshay Kumar and Karishma Kapoor is the basic story line. I watched it in three parts it tired me so much.
You could have your choices but I wrote mine in the order of my liking but well the basic idea’s the same SRK is the SUPER ROCKING KHAN.